Am I A Candidate for Dental Implants?
When you need to permanently replace missing or heavily damaged teeth, dental implants are one of the most effective treatment solutions. Dental implants are one of the longest lasting treatment options, and are effective at restoring both appearance and function to your mouth. Are you interested in dental implants, but aren’t sure if they’re right for you?
We here at Cranston Cosmetic Dentistry are experienced at performing dental implant treatment, and are happy to share an overview of who dental implants are for. We’ll also discuss some of the key things to be aware of after treatment if you do decide to get dental implants, and how to best prepare for treatment if you feel it's the right fit.
Here are a few things to help you determine if dental implants are right for you:
What makes a good candidate for dental implants?
Contrary to popular belief, dental implants are a viable treatment option for both young and older patients alike. Furthermore, it is a highly effective treatment, and with proper oral hygiene dental implants can last a lifetime.
However, there are a few qualities to be aware of that makes dental implants better suited for some patients over others. This includes qualities such as:
- Non-smokers. Tobacco, vaping, and other carcinogenic inhalants are all bad for oral health. For implants, they’re even worse since your implants rely heavily on gum and jaw support, both of which are greatly weakened by smoking. If you intend to continue smoking, your implants won’t last as long compared to other patients.
- No diabetic or autoimmune disorder. Dental implants are a more invasive treatment compared to other common dental treatment solutions. As a result, complications can arise when the patient has diabetes, autoimmune disorders, heart problems, and similar health issues. Be sure to consult your dentist about your health before getting dental implants inserted.
- Damaged and missing teeth. Dental implants are a more significant treatment compared to other restorative and cosmetic dental treatment options. If a tooth has only small injuries, cracks, or cosmetic damage, other dental services should be considered before choosing to replace your tooth with dental implants.
How can I prepare for dental implant treatment?
Unlike many other dental treatments, dental implant treatments typically require a few visits to properly prepare for insertion. During these visits, your dentist will also confer with you and provide you with the best options for your oral needs.
While dental implants are long lasting, they are usually considered a treatment option best suited for those where no other treatment would be as effective. Make sure you discuss other restorative or cosmetic solutions before opting for dental implant treatment.
What should I do after treatment?
Recovery time varies from person to person, but the recovery needed for dental implant treatment is longer compared to other dental treatment solutions. The worst of the pain and soreness will fade after two days, and after two weeks your mouth will generally feel close to normal. However, for complete recovery, it can take between three to six months for the implants to totally fuse with your jaw bone.
During and after treatment, make sure you practice good oral hygiene habits to maintain your implants. This includes the following:
- Brushing at least twice daily
- Flossing and using mouthwash at least once daily
- Visiting your dentist for semi-annual checkups and cleanings
- Avoiding tobacco, smoking, vaping, and other carcinogens
- Eating a balanced and healthy diet
- Reducing your consumption of highly acidic and sugary foods
Visit Cranston Cosmetic Dentistry for dental implants
Are you looking for dental implant treatment near Cranston or Greenwich, Rhode Island? Then we invite you to consider visiting the elite dentists here at Cranston Cosmetic Dentistry! At our dental practice, we believe in providing the best dental care possible to help you have a happy, healthy, and beautiful smile. Along with a wide variety of dental services, we use the latest in dental technology and techniques to improve our patient’s teeth.
Contact us today if you have any questions or to schedule an appointment, and we look forward to helping you here at Cranston Cosmetic Dentistry!